Monday, January 16, 2012

WELL-WORN BASICS: A LOVE LETTER

Everyone has at least one item in their wardrobe which they love so much that it's falling apart. I have at three of these items, which I wear nearly every day.

photo 1photo 2

When I say I am not much of a bag person, I am not kidding. I wear this bag printed with human hearts, that I got from Dangerfield at least two years ago for all occasions. To the office (where it looks extremely out of place amongst the briefcases, laptop bags and LV monogrammed status-symbol monstrosities), to uni and to parties, bars, the beach - EVERYWHERE. It gets so much use that the print is rubbing off; there are stains all over it; I have sewn the lining back together twice already; and the strap came apart just two days ago so I have a giant safety pin to keep it attached (it's kind of grunge right?). I really want a new one, but I haven't seen it, or anything similar, anywhere affordable.

photo 3 photo(4)

I bought these shoes online at The Horse. I have another pair of shoes from them, brown boots, but they are not as comfortable as these. These smell like leather and make my feet/socks smell like leather. They are dirty and scuffed and starting to fall apart. I used to wear them every day, but I began to worry about their health, so now they are more of a sometimes shoe and I wear cheap loafers every other day.

photo 5photo(3)

This is the watch I actually wear every single fucking day. My best friend bought it for me (two years ago maybe? And it hasn't needed a battery change yet!) and it makes me so incredibly nostalgic for childhood. It makes beeping sounds when you press the buttons. In the morning, I automatically put it on and if I ever forget, I spend the day checking my bare wrist over and over. Maybe I should get these for those days. I can't even own any other kind of watch, I have to have a digital one because I can't read the time quickly. Like those watches without numbers or with notches that mark where the numbers should be? I cannot read those, I can only make estimates.

Do you guys have items that you wear every day, helping you to cocoon yourself in a comfortable sartorial routine? I pretty much build all my outfits from these items, which is probably why everything I own is black/goes with black.

8 comments:

  1. I have a Dangerfield heart-print bag that I use every day, it is delightful and I want to squeeeeze it. I like your human heart bag! I haven't ever seen a print like that. Badaaaasss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those shoes and actually I like wearing scuffed ones, new ones just look.. too new! Anyways thanks for your comment ;) I was standing on a flat roof of some kind of water reservoir building really weird haha.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pair of purple satin converse that I have had since I was 16. They have been spilled, puked, chewed and stepped on..lol these shoes have seen it all. They have holes in them and my feet get wet when it rains, but I can't seem to let them go! Have you tried looking on Etsy for anything similar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those watches are nostalgic for me too. My grandpa used to wear one all the time :) Also, to answer your question about that sweetheart blouse that I altered, all I did was cut and hem the sleeves :) There used to be these atrocious 3/4 bell sleeves on that piece (wtf?), a few snips and stitches and it was good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe i love that i'm not the only one who wears bags and shoes until they fall apart! I really like that bag (cool print!) and those boots too :D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the print of the bag! I'm trying, but I can't really think of something I wear every single day like that - probably because I only started to buy clothes and accessories a lot last year, after starting uni and not having to wear a uniform anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Interesting bag! I'm not sure if I like it... I can't decide Haha! That watch is awesome though!

    x Aliya
    www.papermoonsandmacarons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete